Upholstery Adhesive

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Upholstery Adhesive
From: radsickt@lablink.ple.af.mil
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 94 08:09:10 PST
First of all, this is not an April Fools Joke!
A few years ago, I was having trouble keeping the headliner attached
to the removable top of the Porsche 914.  It kept sagging right on top
of my head and it got quite irritating.  I tried contact cement, but I
have been VERY unhappy with its results in the past and I didn't
expect much.  I didn't get much.

The big problem with contact cement seems to do with temperature.  It
works well in a constant 80 degree F environment.  The 914 top,
however, sees temperatures that cycle from 10 degrees F (yes, it gets
pretty cold in the desert) and well over 150 degrees (the top is
black.)  What I needed was some type of adhesive that hardened and
then didn't pull away when it got hot.

I found amazing success with...  SHOE GOO!  I was looking at the
adhesives in some grocery store and there it was.  Shoe Goo.  Hmmm...
it is a liquid which cures up into something like shoe rubber... Well,
why not? It's worth a shot.

I squirted it liberally on the top and put the headliner felt on top
of it, sort of squirmed it around to promote bonding and that's it.
Two and a half years later, the headliner is still there.

Your mileage may vary.

-Tim