TR 4A front coil spring [Q]

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 4A front coil spring [Q]
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 93 04:05:00 CST
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(TR 4A front coil spring [Q]) File(DEC31931.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 12-31-1993 .. 03:52:34

>Subject: TR 4A front coil spring [Q]
>

>* I am currently dismantling the front suspension, but was stopped short by
>the lack of a safe method to disassemble the front coil spring. I do not have
>a spring compressor which fits, and the Coil Spring Compressor Part No. 112
>manufactured by Messrs. V.L. Churchill and Company Limited, Feltham,
>Middlesex, England mentioned in the workshop manual has of course been off
>the shelves for a long time now. I do not intend to try the jack-under-spring
>pan-method, as I feel this is not a trick to go for as a newcomer. Anyone out
>there who might give me a hint what would be the correct tool to buy?

You are correct that most spring compressors I have tried do NOT fit. I have
dismantled my TR-3 front suspention several times and have not found the
correct tool for the spring. I have seen some in catalogs that clamp onto the
outsides of the spring and I think that these may work but have not had the
opportunity to try them.
At first I did use the jack under the spring pan method. This works but
BE CAREFUL!!!!! It is dangerous. The best way I have found is to dismantle
my sisors jack and use the long screw from the jack allong with the solid
metal treaded end peices from the jack as a sring compressor. I know this
sounds a little wierd but it does work.
AGAIN BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! those springs can cause severe harm if they
get away.

 ! Louis A. Poche'                 !  Chief Engineer                  !
 ! Internet: POCHE@music.loyno.edu !  Loyola University               !
 ! CompuServe:   73007,1521        !  Department of Communications    !
 ! Amateur Radio: KD5XE            !  6363 St. Charles Ave.           !
 ! Voice Phone: (504) 865-3636     !  Box 201                         !
 ! FAX:         (504) 865-3666     !  New Orleans, LA 70118           !