TR 4A front coil spring [Q]

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt
Subject: TR 4A front coil spring [Q]
From: Daniel Heyer <heyer@imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.d400.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1993 21:50:30 +0100
Hithere,

I'm new to the list and rather new to restoring cars. The discovery of this
list has been something like a spin-off from my daily Internet ventures. The
Internet community is still rather faintly dispersed in Europe compared to US
standards, albeit growing; so I am wondering how many European subscribers
might be on the list?

I am the owner of a '65 TR 4A IRS, Comm. No. CTC 50932 LO, which I bought in
Germany last year and which had been imported from Leesburg / Virginia
shortly before. The car is basically complete and sound, except for a badly
rusted dent in the rear chassis section which has now been cut out and
replaced by new metal by a welding pro. There is rust in the usual places:
Inner sills to B-post, floor panels, bulkhead / battery tray, boot floor. Due
to the very strict regulations in Germany, I am facing a more or less
complete rebuild before being able to use the car daily during the dry
season. I would like to ask the oracle a - probably simple - question:

* I am currently dismantling the front suspension, but was stopped short by
the lack of a safe method to disassemble the front coil spring. I do not have
a spring compressor which fits, and the Coil Spring Compressor Part No. 112
manufactured by Messrs. V.L. Churchill and Company Limited, Feltham,
Middlesex, England mentioned in the workshop manual has of course been off
the shelves for a long time now. I do not intend to try the jack-under-spring
pan-method, as I feel this is not a trick to go for as a newcomer. Anyone out
there who might give me a hint what would be the correct tool to buy?

Cheers,
                Daniel
Daniel Heyer    heyer@imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.de           fax +49 (40) 4717 4517