Re: MGB starter problems.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB starter problems.
From: gall@beta.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 93 23:24:08 MST
Forwarded message:
To: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 93 23:22:16 MST

Scott,
As you said:

> But the electrical connections... One set of fellow SOLs installed them
> originally (incorrectly, due to a little confusion over the fact that
> the picture in the book is inverted compared to the installation in the
> car, so that when Tim said "the top post" reading from the book, Daren
> didn't realize that it was the bottom posfrom where he was lying
> under the motor.  Then when Chris and I realized what happened, he
> swapped the cable... but I'm not sure whether he tightened both of
> the nuts on the solenoid.  And therefore there might be just enough
> ground to run the lights, but not enough to drive the starter.

Since in my case, the battery positive lead attached to the one (of the
two) high current terminals (threaded studs) that also had the cable
supplying the cars accessory power, this cable was secured tightly and
wa able to supply power to everything in the car (all lights, and
accessories, even gauges) worked fine - the car just wouldn't turn over.
It is the lead from the other side of the solenoid (that the solenoid
supplies power to) that was loose in my car, thereby not passing the
current to the starter windings.

Voila: same symptoms as you described.

Sorry for the rephrasing, I re-read my original posting to you and
decided that it may not be that clear - hope this clarifies my problem
and solution if not already decyphered.

Good Luck!

Greg.
--
Internet: gall@ultrix.uleth.ca

"You miss too much these days if you stop to think"
By a famous Irish poet and philosopher, Bono of the band U2, circa '91.

'76 Triumph TR7 V8 (Buick 350) Fixedhead Coupe.         _   /|  A
'79 Triumph TR7 Auto Drophead Coupe.                    \`o_O'  C
'78 Mazda RX7.                                            ( )   K
'73 FIAT 128 Coupe SL 1300cc.                              U    !