MGB Brakes and Starters

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Brakes and Starters
From: wade@ops.tridom.com (Wade Massengil)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 93 19:18:09 EST

Dear All'o'ya'll...

        For Scott and his starter problem I'd have a look a the brushes in
the starter itself. Flemming mentioned the engine ground strap...as an aside,
if the previous owner removed it, the engine will seek out a ground the best
way it can. Does your throttle, choke, and heater valve cables have the
annoying habit of melting? Now you know why!

        If you wish to clean ANYTHING with windings on it, i.e. alternators
or starters, ect...DON'T use any kind of solvent as it will disolve the
varnish insulation on the wires (OOPS!) I gently hose them out with WD-40
and dry with compresed air at low psi.

        For Ron's mystery sticky brake caliper, I'd jack up the front end,
get two helpers to spin the wheels, apply the brakes very slowly and the
non sticky caliper will stop its wheel first.

        Remember, if everybody had one, it would not be a sports car!

        Wade