Re: AutoCAD drawings - <tcollin@mtu.edu>

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AutoCAD drawings - <tcollin@mtu.edu>
From: "Jester" <jester@invlogic.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1993 13:47:42 EST
RE: AutoCAD drawings <tcollin@mtu.edu>

  I once posted an interest in getting production drawings of LBCs,
especially the Triumph Spitfire, so that I can enter the drawings into
CAD.  I think that there are a lot of things that we could use cad
drawings of our favourite LBCs; however, without either production
drawings or a lot of time measuring every detail of a car there is no
real hope of having accurate drawings of our cars on cad.

  If there is anyone who knows where these drawings are being stored, and
what it would cost to get a set I would surely like to know.

  Boy, wouldn't it be keen to have a couple of dozen drawing files that
contained all the parts of a car.  These could be either in solids or 3D
wireframe and 3D faces,  The drawings could be xrefed together, and written
to a .DFX, then taken to 3D studio.  The advanced list of rendering materials
could be added to the appropriate layers and then the drawing could be
rendered and voila - your favorite LBC.  But wait there's more - once you
have the complete car in 3D Studio you could freeze certain drawing layers
and animate the construction of the car.  Output the animation to NTSC and
there you have it - an animated, part by part, construction of your car
that any restoration person would truley love.

  I wonder how may people who own a TR3 would love to own a video like that
so they could watch it and see where the wires go through the bulkhead, and
where they screw into place.  I'm sure that there are a large number of
people out there who would love to see a three dimensional picture of their
wiring harness and what color wire goes where and to which insturment.You
could see what colour to paint certain parts like the seat slides or the
master cylinder resevoirs on the firewall.  People repairing the sill
sections of their car could be able to see how its put together and what
peices go where before they even start the job.  The list goes on...

  So tell me, how many people would be interested in one of these videos?

Happy holidays
Jester!!!

BTW, another advantage is that the people at TRF, and others could use the
drawings for their catalogues, and they could use certain sections of the
animation to show their customers how to put their new parts together like
SU's or ZS's...

Oh yeah, does anyone know what Dana's email address is at TRF is???  I have
some email to send him!
--
     |  Jester!   A student of life, the universe, and AutoCAD      |
     |  ILC doesn't want my opinion so I don't give it for them!!!  |