Re: Sunbeam Conversions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Conversions
From: Jaminaz <jaminaz@halcyon.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1993 15:10:19 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 25 Dec 1993 british-cars-request@autox.team.net wrote:

> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 93 16:28:19 EST
> From: yeebot@aol.com
> Subject: Sunbeam Conversions, part 2
>
> Actually, understanding how much IS envolved in cramming an American V-8 in a
> little Alpine, keeps me up at night. And keeps me looking for alternatives.
> Aside from needing to look for an used Tiger front-end, I'd have to smash the
> firewall back, too. That seems to me to be a greater sin than a non-British
> engine. (Say, where'd that Ford 260/289 come from anyway? ;-) ) If Orbital of

   It just happend to fit! In 1963, when Ian Garrad, Ken Miles and others
were looking for an appropriate engine to put into the Alpine, the Ford
260 was available and virtually the only one narrow enough to fit in the
engine bay.

> Australia would just get moving and iron out the problems with that 200HP
> 2-stroke Ceramic engine (weighs something like 27lbs.!), I think I would be
> just fine, thank you. Hmmn, then there's that guy in California that does
> those electric conversions...

   The possibilities ... ;-)

> From: John Adams <John_Adams@rand.org>
> Subject: Sunbeam Alchemy (Alpine to Tiger conversion)
>
> Mike Yeek asks:
>
> >OK, I've heard of people converting their Alpines to "Tigers" by installing
> >their own 260, 289, etc. And  have heard about "RotoRooters"(Mazda RX-7
> >engines). I've got an Alpine which needs a complete overhaul and I'm thinking
> >about having some fun. Since I'm only contemplating it at this stage, money
> >and time aren't really problems. The only problem is I've only HEARD is about
> >these conversions. Haven't seen any or talked to folks who've owned/done
> >them. Anyone out there with any stories, ideas on interesting engine/tranny
> >swaps?
>
> As has been mentioned you need a pretty big collection of parts for this
> conversion. The tranny in most Tigers is the Ford toploader, pretty easy to
> find. The rear end is a Dana 44, these are available from wrecked post office
> jeeps or old Studebakers or about a dozen other donors. The steering is all
> different and I don't think it is common to anything else. Other than springs
> I have heard that there are suspenion differences but no one has every really
> explained this to me very well. In a couple of months I will have my Tiger and
> Alpine in the same place and I will finally get the differences sorted out.
>
> The shop notes put out by CAT, the California Tiger Club, has a lot of parts
> substitution info. I also recall that the Tigers/Alpines East club shop notes
> have a pretty detailed article on putting a German Ford Capri drivetrain in an
> Alpine. I have heard good things about this engine, anybody else have a more
> informed opinion? Since Capri rims supposedly fit the Tiger there may be some
> other advantages to this swap as well.

   It has been a few years since I had my last Alpine, and over 3 years
since I sold my Tiger, so there may be some new information out there but...
There have been a number of Alpine/Tiger conversions made in Canada that
I have seen, sometimes from scratch, sometimes with a wrecked Tiger
"doner". The rack and pinion for prototype Tigers were MG, and I have
seen the same used for conversions. Other "Tigers" have been set up using
Mustang II steering. Both require some fabrication.
  Other engines: Several conversions have been made using the Capri V6,
which appear to be fairly straight forward. A few years ago, someone was
trying to market a conversion kit. I have seen the Mazda rotary
conversion, and it looked very good. The shift lever even lined right up
to the hole in the Alpine tunnel!
  Capri wheels: The wheels do fit, I have used them, but be aware,
the stock Sunbeam uses smaller wheel studs. If the are not changed with
the new wheels, they have been known to pull the studs, lug nuts and all
through the Capri wheel. Also, they are a little wider, and you will have
to pay attention to wheel width and fender clearance.

   Jim.