Re: Rover V8 tuning book (and misc mumblings)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Rover V8 tuning book (and misc mumblings)
From: kburtch@pts.mot.com (Kevin Burtch)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 93 16:48:15 EST
> From: jeffreys_m_j <jeffreys_m_j@bt-web.bt.co.uk>
> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 15:10:43 +0000
>
> I have just received the V8 tuning book by D. Hardcastle (publ. Oct 1993).
>
> For me it is like his previous book in its unputadownability. Lots of info
> Worth getting IMHO.

Great! I'm ordering mine right away! Thanks for the info!

> Mumblings:
>
> I can't wait to get to live in a house with a garage again. It is so
> frustrating not being able to comfortably cure the problems that are
> beginning to mount on my cars:
>
>       the TR7V8 has a brake fluid leak at the rear - major

If it is the brake (slave) cylinder, it's easy! If you do one, do both! If
one is old enough to need replacing, the other is surely on its way. I learned
this recently. :) I replaced one, now the other is leaking and I need to
replace the (otherwise good) shoes.

>       the TR7 Sprint has an arthritic headlamp lifter (lights are up all
>         the time now, after my superduper battery was drained when the
>         offending item failed to lower)

Had this happen too. Strangely enough, through manually assisting the servo
every time I turn them on or off, they "healed" themselves! They work perfectly
now! (very strange!) I planned on tearing it down and cleaning/lubing it up,
just never got to it. It might be worth a shot as they aren't cheap.

>       the Sprint's electronic ignition cutout for 0.5 sec a couple of
>         nights ago - a shot across the bows?

EEK!

>         the Sprint's light switch failed recently - had to scavange from
>         the V8 (in the dark, it had to be done - it was the TR7 evening at
>         Chelmsford)

YUK!

>         all my bits and pieces gleaned from 10 years TR7 ownership are 5
>         miles away in storage!

OUCH!

>         I want to build a 3.9 litres plus V8!

YEAH! (I gotta git dat book!)

Later, thanks, and good luck!
Kevin

P.S. You might want to check local suppliers (small ones) for the brake cylinder
     rebuild kit. One place near here has them cheaper than mailorder! In stock!