Re: Fulcrun pins stuck on A arms (Midget

To: Dennis <IEDXW@asuvm.inre.asu.edu>
Subject: Re: Fulcrun pins stuck on A arms (Midget
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 11:07:11 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 20 Dec 1993, Dennis wrote:

> How do you separate A arms from kingpins on a 77 Midget?  I have the A
arms > and kingpins off the car, and as usual the lower fulcrum pins
(threaded ones) > are stuck to the kingpins (the cotter pin came out of
one of the pins but > is stuck in the other) having totally messed up the
thread inthe A arm. > The pins appear to have fused to the kingpins. > >
Anyone been there, seen it, and done it?? > I'd rather use a tried and
trusted methods than my own imagination here. >

I can't remember anything in this assembly that you can reuse, except for
the A-arm itself.  Among other things, you will need a new kingpin kit
(incl. kingpin), new fulcrum pins, AND last but far from least, you will
have to melt the braze that holds the threaded insert in the end of the
A-arm, remove the insert, and braze new inserts in.

If I am right, and only the A-arm can be reused, why separate anything?
When you or the people you send them to melt out the old threaded inserts,
that will solve the problem.

BTW, yours must really be terrible;  I was able to unscrew the fulcrum pin
in each of 4 a-arms by unscrewing them with a screwdriver bit and an
old-fashioned brace.  Get the kind of bit with a purpose-made square
shank, and you can really torque away.

Ray Gibbons