Re: Commercialims, converts, & FRESHENING PLASTIC

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Commercialims, converts, & FRESHENING PLASTIC
From: vanmatre@nprdc.navy.mil (Nick Van Matre)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 08:07:19 -0800
A. I know this is a copout, but on this point I am lazy AND TeriAnn
is just right on, IMHO.  As I have watched TeriAnn's points, and
100%.  No blatant ads, but we Want companies participation to help
us with lbc problems, and to help them be better able to serve us--
know about parts, disseminate useful info.  I am in complete agreement
with TeriAnn's comments on this topic.

B. Locking converts: I don't; too easy to cut the top.  In 1966, I had
a brand spanking new MGB, in Washington DC.  After the first breakin
resulted in a cut top, I didn't lock it.  In one summer I must have had
that car "gone through" by thieves 25-30 times.  I always knew they
had been there because my cubby box was always open and the maps, etc,
were scattered in the car.  At that time they weren't after the
radios; they never took the original equipment radio...  Now, I don't
lock Tilley (the TR6), though I DO use a bright red "Club"--it does
clash with the burgundy paint job...  I also don't leave Tilley alone
for very long.  When my 19 year old daughter takes Tilley out, she
tells me that she always has a number of young men come up to her to
talk about lbcs and are willing to watch Tilley...

C. FRESHENING OLD PLASTIC: I need some advice, that may be useful to
others.  How do you "freshen up" (for lack of a better expression)
old plastic switches, like my Hazard switch?  It has red painted
letters/symbols, but both the black switch body and the red paint
are kind of faded.  I would like for them to look new without
replacing the switch--it works fine.
Do you: spray with clear paint? spray with black paint and reletter
with red (in my case)? Rub some special goo on?
This mind is inquiring...please.

Nick