Re: Dum Dum De DUM ...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dum Dum De DUM ...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 17 Dec 1993 13:42:16 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I'm _way_ behind on this list, but I just wanted to add a few comments.

One of my friends that owns a TR6 had similar symptoms on his car last year.
He noticed a bit of fouling on #6 and attributed the "slight vibration" in
the engine to a mis-fire. He drove the car in this manner from his house
to his winter storage place and back (about 40-50 miles round trip).

When he checked his compression, he was expecting low readings for 6 but
he got a fat _ZERO_ like Larry did. Upon pulling his head, everything looked
fine, and he was puzzled. At any rate, he decided to turn the engine over
by hand, and low and behold, the #6 piston was staying at the top of the
stroke.

It turns out that the motor suffered a cracked piston, where the crack was
above the gudgeon (wrist pin) and the bottom half of the piston was rotating
along with the rest of the pistons, but the very top of the piston crown
was staying put!

I asked around about this, and it is a pretty rare thing, but maybe this
was what Larry was seeing.

bye,
rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |

From  rwg1@cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:59:50 2001