Re: Dum Dum De Dum ...

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Subject: Re: Dum Dum De Dum ...
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 12:38:23 -0600 (CST)
Larry E. Snyder writes >

> The verdict is in. Compression on cylinder #6 on my GT6 is 0. Engine is
> broke.

> I need. Some folks have told me that if I freshen up the head, I should
> also do the rings, but the prospect of pulling the engine does not appeal
> to me at this time. This is all speculation, since I don't know what my
> problem is anyway. If it's a ring or piston, then I'll have to pull the
> engine anyway. If it's a valve, I have the option of redoing the head and
> putting it back on.

You can isolate the problem before taking the car apart.  Somehow hook up
an air nose to the cylinder #6 spark plug hole.  There is a net.method
from Steve Soar to make your own leakdown tester, but you only need part
of that hardware.  Turn the engine so cylinder #6 is at TDC with both the
valves closed.  Apply air preassure to the cylinder.  You probably won't
need much.  Now listen around the car to see where the air is escaping.

Tailpipe:  Bad exhaust valve.
Carbs:     Bad intake valve.
Radiator:  Gurgling in radiator cap indicates bad head, block, or head gasket.
Dipstick:  Rings.
Oil Fill:  Head, block or head gasket.

> When I take the head in, what do I leave on it?

Everything.  At least the places I have been to here in Saint Paul.