Re: restoration books??

To: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Subject: Re: restoration books??
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1993 10:08:14 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 16 Dec 1993, Marcus Tooze wrote:

> I would like some recomendations for good restoration books for both the
> spit and the Midget....any suggestions?
>
> Marcus

I have about everything there is on restoration of Spridgets, and the only
one (aside from the factory manuals) that I really felt was
particularly useful was:

MG Midget and Austin-Healey Sprite:  Guide to purchase and DIY
restoration, by Lindsay Porter.  Available from Classic Motorbooks,
1-800-826-6600, Cat. # 103739AE, $29.95.

This shows how to tackle the most common problems.  The standard of work
is functional, rather than concourse, but that's not a criticism for most
of us.  Some of the cars used as examples are ones that would be judged to
be candidates for the junkyard in the US; it shows what can be done and
serves as encouragement when you find your car is worse than you hoped.
The pictures are mostly clear, and the text readable, though you often
have to study a bit to understand what view of the car is being shown:
e.g. (fictitious): "View of inner left corner of the boot stiffener taken
from below with the car resting on its side with the right wing removed."

Lindsay Porter is also author of another book in the same series, on the
restoration of Spitfires, et al.  I have no personal knowledge of it, but
it is also available from Classic Motorbooks:

Triumph Spitfire, GT6, Herald, Vitesse (Sports 6):  Guide to Purchase and
DIY restoration, Cat # 113194AE, $29.95.

Enjoy,

Ray Gibbons