RE: Rope trick that worked

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rope trick that worked
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 23:10:37 -0500 (EST)
Keving wrote:
>> not to bind up on the studs.
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>AAARRRRRRRGGGHHH!!!  DON'T DO it man! I did this once on my first TR7 and it
>took 4 MONTHS to get the head off!! (the studs were in there GOOD!) Pull the
>studs first! The head should pop right off. I still shudder when I think about
>my "76 TR7 dangling by the head from an air hoist when I got fed up!!! Yes,
>the WHOLE CAR! It took a 4 lb. steel mallet (mini-sledge) and a half dozen
>aluminum wedges hammered in bettween the head and block to get it off!

Ah, as happens a lot on this list, this is a case of different car, different
situation. The GT6 has a cast iron head held down by 14 steel studs. Assuming
the car did not seriously blow a head gasket, pulling the  head with studs
in  place is the  correct thing.
 The TR7 (and Stag) is a whole new ball game. The head is aluminum, studs are
steel. *All* TR7's have sufficient head gasket leakage to cause serious
corrosion and sticking of the head to the studs. But more importantly, the
head studs go in at an angle!!  They must be removed  to get the head off
past the timing chain tower. The fact that they are stuck just makes it
impossible to get out. :>

   Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.com