RE: Rope trick that worked

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rope trick that worked
From: kburtch@pts.mot.com (Kevin Burtch)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 93 11:12:07 EST
> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 23:10:37 -0500 (EST)
> From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
>
> Keving wrote:
> >> not to bind up on the studs.
> >         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >AAARRRRRRRGGGHHH!!!  DON'T DO it man! I did this once on my first TR7 and it
> >took 4 MONTHS to get the head off!! (the studs were in there GOOD!) Pull the
>
> Ah, as happens a lot on this list, this is a case of different car, different
> situation. The GT6 has a cast iron head held down by 14 steel studs. Assuming
>  The TR7 (and Stag) is a whole new ball game. The head is aluminum, studs are
> steel. *All* TR7's have sufficient head gasket leakage to cause serious
> corrosion and sticking of the head to the studs. But more importantly, the

My appologies. I didn't realise (as a few people have pointed out) the cause
of my TR7 problem was electrolosis/corrosion between the studs and head. I
was under the assumption it was just tight fitting studs or imperfect
manufacturing tolerances that caused the jam. If that were the case, the 14
studs would have been a nightmare! :) (it gave _me_ shivers! :)

>    Randy
>      randy@taylor.wyvern.com

Kevin

P.S. I learned my lesson! (several years ago)