Resoration Guides

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Resoration Guides
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 16:10:59 -0800
Whenever I see a request for a restoration guide, what usually comes to
my mind is one of the Original Restorer's Guides series books.  The
reason for this is because of how pleased I am with the book I got for
my own car, Original AC Ace & Cobra.  This book contains more technical
information about Cobras than I've come across in one place, so far.

However, I've seen more than one comment about other books in this
series not being all that good.  This got me to wondering why.  One
reason might be that each book was put together by a different author
(except for the two Jag books) who may also have had different editors.
Perhaps each author (authors in some cases) had different points of view
or opinions about what should or should not be included in each book.
Maybe I'm just easy to please, or maybe the fact that Original AC Ace &
Cobra is the ONLY Cobra restoration guide available is why I like my
book so much.

Since this questions seems to come up a lot, why not develop a list of
books similar to the parts supplier list maintained on hoosier (or
whatever it's current name will be/is) including comments or perhaps a
poll of list members about the useful of each.  This is pretty much a
non issue for me but for some cars there are several books available.
In some cases maybe having more than one of these book would be useful,
but I'll bet there are some that are only fit to decorate a coffee
table.

Roland