[sfisher@Megatest.COM: Bad Karma On Britcars]

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: [sfisher@Megatest.COM: Bad Karma On Britcars]
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 17:57:35 -0700
The ever loquacious Scott srikes the keys to produce:

   I personally have no intention ever of doing business with that firm
   again.

Isn't this firm doing business under another name since this incident?
As a possibly related note, the info from the net about this firm came
at an appropriate time, though it turned out for naught.  You see, a local
SLC guy found a clean, rust free, and I do mean rust free, squaretail
Spitfire.  The motor was toast.  He bought it, planning to put a 12A in the
thing.  Eventually he decided to have a local shop put in a rebuilt Spit
motor, though, and the local shop asked me about rebuilds from this certain
place in California, since I was the closest thing to a Triumph expert they
could flush out on short notice.  The local shop didn't listen to me, and
got the motor from the place under discussion.  Suffice it to say that after
about 1 year of use the "rebuilt" motor is pretty much completely worn out,
needing a full rebuild and replacement of many internal parts that were
"new".  Poor guy.  Now, if I can whip up a good 1500 motor for him that's
almost as powerful as MY autocross motor will be...

    Maybe we could have them send money to the Fat Chance Garage. :-)
    Seriously, if this were a club newsletter, we would charge
    for ad space and the money would go into the club's account.  Since
    we don't have such a mechanism, overt ads are obviously right out.

Well, one thing I have been thinking of mentioning relates to the recent
shuffle of the FTP archives.  One reason for the move is lack of disk space
on the machine, and the fact that the Computer Science department rightly
believes that supporting a world-wide automotive archive is not the best
use of limited resources.  But if I could somehow come up with the money
for, say, a 1 gig SCSI disk that could be attached to this machine here...
Hmm, I could probably get in trouble trying to solicit funds for hardware
to support the lists over the net.  Oh well.

But while the current disk has some space, one thing I may suggest is that
we make more us of the pub/autojumble area.  I think Roger G. has been the
only person other than myself to use it for its intended purpose, which is
an electronic autojumble as the name implies.  If there's room, I wouldn't
mind seeing the thing full of ads, parts lists, specials, list of stuff
that recently fell from netter's rafters, etc.  Rather than post a big
message to the whole list, one can simply say that there is an updated
list of mufflers bearing closeouts in autojumble/muffle.frobble or whatever.
Perhaps TRF could even put a few items in a file there, to test the effects
of the Brit car list on their income.  Hmm...

mjb.