British Police vs. Reliant Robin

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: British Police vs. Reliant Robin
From: paul gilders rs <paulg@snow.lut.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 93 10:22:44 GMT
Well after Dave Van Horn's posting about the British police failing to
catch the runaway Range Rover, I thought I'd mention a story that I
read in the paper about month ago concerning the pursuit of one of
Britain's most prestigious sports cars - yes, the throaty Reliant
Robin! For those that are not familiar with this vehicle, it really is
in a class of it's own - having four wheels, one of which is the
steering wheel and a classy sleek glass-fibre body style. Anyway, I'm
not sure of the details of the finely tuned engine, but they can often
be seen speeding along at, maybe, 40mph on the motorway and have a
reputation for infinite acceleration (0-60 in infinite time).

Anyway, hence the story of the newspaper article, whereby the villain
(can't remember the crime) was pursued across the Peak district for
about 100 miles in his Robin, with 3 Pandas involved in the pursuit at
various stages. At one point the Robin reversed into one of the
following police cars - how the structure of the reliant remained in
one piece is a mystery. Anyway, during parts of the chase the vehicle
was thought to have reached speeds in excess of 60mph (must have had a
race cam!!). Needless to say this chase was a great embarrassment to
the force and the fact that they were chasing a Robin must surely have
prolonged the pursuit - they wouldn't have been able to cope with the
embarrassment had it got away!

Paul.