Re: Checkbook & wire wheel swaps

To: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Subject: Re: Checkbook & wire wheel swaps
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1993 08:38:22 -0600 (CST)
Scott Fisher scribed >

> BTW, does anyone *know* -- meaning have you done it yourself or do you
> have a primary reference that says for a fact it will work -- whether
> you can cross-fit MGB and Midget wire wheels?

Been there.  Done that.

> I know about the 14"
> versus 13" difference, I know about wheel arches, etc. etc. etc.  What
> I want to know is about spline count and hub size.

Identical, as near as I could tell.  Dean Nelson, the SAAB freak from whom
I purchased my Midget, used to run the car with 14" MGB wire wheels on the
back all the time.  Dean had 165-14 tires on them.  This gave him a bit more
cruising ability with the 4.22/1 final drive. I used them for the same purpose
until I swapped into disc wheels.  I sold the MGB wheels to netter Dave
Ambrose, as I recall.

> The '70 Midget that
> I've made a bid to purchase comes with wire wheels.  It might be fun
> to go +1 on them, as I have five MGB wire wheels already.  And of course,
> you're way ahead of me if you remember that I also have four 14 x 5.5"
> center-lock Minilite replicas.  Now *that* might be fun...

Remember?  Who the hell talked you into it?  :-)

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676 USA
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
It's still hip to be octagonal.  Whaddaya call the Lotus emblem shape, anyway?