Re: British Police vs. Reliant Robin

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Police vs. Reliant Robin
From: Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1993 10:01:22 -0500
paul gilders rs <paulg@snow.lut.ac.uk> writes:

> Well after Dave Van Horn's posting about the British police failing to
> catch the runaway Range Rover, I thought I'd mention a story that I
> read in the paper about month ago concerning the pursuit of one of
> Britain's most prestigious sports cars - yes, the throaty Reliant
> Robin!

Amazing story!

I have ridden in a Robin, quite an experience!  A former workmate
(back home in England) owned one.   Back then (circa 1979) he told
me all Robin owners flash their headlights at each other in recognition
of ownership of such a unique vehicle.  I wonder if they still do.

These police-chase stories remind me of when a group of friends and
I were chased by the local constabulary.

Back around 1976, when I was a young whipper-snapper, one Saturday
night after some good-natured skirt chasing at a disco (ahem), half of
our Sunday morning soccer team crammed into the back of a Mini van (talk
about Sardines!) and headed home.  With that weight, how, I don't know!

Sure enough, zooming along the main road at at least 50mph in a 30mph
zone at 2:00 am we were chased and pulled over.

For a while there, Kevin, the driver, tried to outrun them (don't laugh,
he was one _wild_ character!).  Thank goodness Kevin was the "designated
driver" and hadn't been drinking.  But he was still booked for speeding
and missing a rear-view mirror.

This was all around the time when Paul McCartney's "Band On The Run"
tune was top of the charts in the UK.  After that we changed the lyrics
slightly to "Van On The Run" which I still sing to this day whenever that
tune comes on the radio!

        Cheers!

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert