RE: Cheap XJ40

To: brit <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cheap XJ40
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1993 18:20:41 -0500 (EST)
 Lawrence Buja posted:

>The price seemed unusually low enough for a current XJ-40 model Jaguar
>sedan to justify posting this ad seen in the Denver paper this
>morning...

>  '87 JAG XJ6  1-owner, body in excel.
>  cond.  Never wrecked , needs motor
>  rebuild.  US$4500.  303-680-9320

If it is an 87, as stated, then it's the last year of the XJ6. The XJ40
started in this country as 88's.

With good engine rebuilds running $3-4K, and the typical market value being
in the 8-10K range, it would seen to be an okay deal, though not fantastic.
The question is what killed the engine. Given the track history of these cars,
I would first guess abuse/neglect. Normally, the trans and diff are a whole
lot weaker than the engine.So, if you're looking at it, and it's not drivable,
be careful.

  Randy
   randy@taylor.wyvern.com