RE: Engine rebuild

To: brit <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine rebuild
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 22:52:07 -0500 (EST)
Marcus writes:
>orn. Well I've used a new cam lock plate, everything is tight, and the cam
>can move about 2mm forwards and backwards !!! (i.e, towards and away from the
>oil pump and front plate). I thought this distance was meant to be in the order
>of 0.003in (I seem to remeber from the clearances given in haynes). I'm not
>sure
>if this is correct/right/ok or whatever. I have definately not left a part out
>and have followed the instruction to the word.

 Ummm, actually you *have* left a part out, the timing chain sprocket. The
end float on this (didn't say, but guessing 1275 from picture) is done by
placing a thrust plate in between the front cam bearing journal and the rear
face of the sprocket. Indeed, most all chain driven cams have their endfloat
controlled in this manner.
 So, put the chain and sprockets on, torque everything, then ckeck the
endfloat. It will most likely be within spec.

  Randy
   randy@taylor.wyvern.com