RE: MGB carbs and suspension

To: brit <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB carbs and suspension
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 22:54:50 -0500 (EST)
Bill said:
>1. Using a completely stock engine, other than a header, is it worth
>using sidedraft Webers?  Looks like in most kits you need to give up
>vacuum advance, and I know that too much breathing capacity can make a
>car undriveable at low ( < 4000) RPM.  The downdraft (5200-series, I
>think) looks like the best deal for a dual-purpose car.

I suggest sticking with the stock carbs. The sidedrafts will require major
jetting work, and all to often actually flow less than the stock setup. This
is due to air filters. I have yet to find a good flowing DCOE filter/housing
that will fit into the space available. This may not be a problem on early
B's, though. Later ones have this monster brake booster andm/c sticking out
in the way.
 The stock induction has sufficient airflow for a stock B motor plus a little
bit. And, there's more to be had out of the system. If you're gonna be serious
about mods, get a copy of David Vizard's "Tuning BL's A-Series Engine". Though
written about the B's little sister, everything he says about induction (about
half the book) applies.
 Do noteven consider the downdraft Weber conversions. Poor manifold designs,
*terrible* air filter flow, and "jetting" the DGV to suit a B requires
epoxy and drilling. Definately not an auto-x carb.

>2. I'm really torn about the tube shock conversion, vs some upgraded
>Armstrongs.  I like the Spax idea, and the rear conversion looks fine,
>but the front looks like a total hack - the mounting looks very loose.
>I'm looking at running 15 x 6 Minilite clones.

 While I agree fully that the lever shocks aren't state of the art, the tube
conversions (especially coilover) scare the living daylights out of me. The
torsional rigidity of the B lower control arm is next to nil. It was never
meant to have this type of load applied in a cantilevered manner. Auto-x
is one thing. But a daily driver that sees potholes and RR tracks....
something has got to give, eventually. Maybe just premature wear of the lower
trunnion. Maybe fatigue and catastrophic failure of the arm or springpan.

  Randy
   randy@taylor.wyvern.com