Re: TR3A questions

To: jtw@lcs.mit.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A questions
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 15:01:00 -0800
In message <199312032137.QAA17405@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> John Wroclawski writes:

>    From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
>
>    I took two layers of upholstry off the fibre board seat backing.  A PO
>    had cut a pair of speaker holes in it.  The upper outer corners were
>    crumbling, as was the bottom below the speaker holes.  A phone call
>    told me that no one was reproducing this pressed board part.
>

> I don't quite understand which part you mean - mentioning speaker
> holes sounds like you are talking about the piece that forms the "back
> seat"; the upholstered fiberboard immediately in front of the gas
> tank. If this is what you mean TRF sells both complete (and accurate)
> panels and, I think, a raw piece of molded fiberboard. There were at
> least 5 different designs for this piece used during the life of the
> TR2/3, although of course things had settled down by TS60000.

You are right, it is the rear bulkhead.  Moss does not have it and has not been
able to find anyone that can make an original type fibre board out of the
original materials.  This is according to Eric Wilhelm, their R&D person.

The Roadster Factory sells rear bulkheads pre-upholseterd only.  I believe the
earlier versions that do not come upholstered have edges where they bend, and do
not have the gentle curves of the later upholstered types.  I'm told TRF part
comes from England & the upholstry may not match what I'm putting into the rest
of the car.  TRF's bulkheads may or may not be original under the upholstry (I
personally don't care), but I suspect it isn't otherwise Moss would be buying
the fibre board bulkheads from TRF's source in the UK (It is a very small world
when it comes to reproduced parts).

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561