Re: Virginia VIN

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Virginia VIN
From: amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 15:10:20 EST
=========================     VIN                      =======================

  My experience with the New York State DMV has been somewhat
  easier than John's, although perhaps not quite as easy as
  Mike's.

  In two cases in the 1970s, I tried to make corrections to
  vehicle registrations. The first example was a 1964 Triumph
  Herald, whose VIN had been transmuted from G_B_#####LCV to
  G_8_#####LCV by someone previous to my purchase. The second
  example was trying to get my 1960 TR3A registered under its VIN
  rather than its engine number. (It seems NY used engine numbers
  a lot as VINs back then, something I can't begin to explain;
  maybe someone else knows!)

  In each case, the DMV staff were remarkably cooperative,
  requesting only TRACINGS -- pencil rubbings -- of the
  appropriate numbers from the commission plate (and engine on the
  3A) on the car as supporting documentation. I also had to supply
  a tracing of the commission number plate for my 1952 Mayflower
  when I registered that, primarily because I had only a bill of
  sale and deposition from the PO. (Of course, I have yet to get a
  permanent, transferable registration for that car, but that's
  another story altogether!)

  By the way, NY is a title state for cars 1973 and newer. Things
  may get a little stickier with those cars. I've been lucky so
  far in that regard.

  Andy *I'll bet the ship was faster than its namesake car* Mace
  amace%sedofis@sed.bitnet
  amace%sedofis%sed.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu