Re: Virginia VIN

To: DLV1::RACERX@YMV5.YMP.GOV, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Virginia VIN
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 93 10:39:07 CST
   > problem.  When I tried to decypher the VIN number, GAN4V69#####, I dis-
   > covered that it should read GAN4U69#####, the U indicating United States
   > spec.  The DMV had mutated the V into a U.

This happened to me during a sequence of moves: My Spitfire was
FDU86843L in Arizona where I bought it.  On moving to NC, the clerk at
the DMV changed it to FD_V_86843L.  I called them about it and they
described a process similar to what you had to go through to get it
straightened out, and I never quite got around to doing it.

I thought I would be in deep doo-doo when I moved here to Nebraska
because they make you get the title inspected when you bring a car into
the state.  Prepared for the worst, I took it in.  The guy doing the
inspection merely consulted some book of valid VINs, noted that no
Spitfire in existance ever had a number with FDV in it, changed it to
what it should be, and sent me on my way! Totally painless, and totally
unexpected.  Made my week!

Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu