Faulty electronic ignition

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Faulty electronic ignition
From: Matthew Walker <walkerm@prl.philips.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 93 15:10:44 GMT
Dear experts,

I have a very strange problem with my electronic ignition.

  Spec:

  Microdynamics electronic ignition module
  Lucas distributor with reluctor trigger

The problem first came to light when my 145bhp Westfield should be going
like...well...basically a 145bhp Westfield, BUT it doesn't, it's like
a clapped out old Mini 850cc.

So I checked a number of things like the tappets, mixture etc. Everything
was fine except for the timing.

When I checked the timing with a strobe I found it was on 12BTDC (that's ok)
BUT when I revved the engine to 3000rpm it was only 14BTDC ! In fact the most
advance I have ever seen is around 12 degrees, ie total advance of 24 degrees!
(I need 12 deg at idle and 36 deg at 3000rpm)

Well you might think the problem is the distributor not advancing - mechanism
stuck etc.. BUT no, it does advance, I can turn the distributor shaft o.k. etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

        Matt
--
|   Matthew Walker, Philips Research Laboratories, Redhill,  |
|   Surrey, RH1 5HA. G.B.                                    |