Re: MGB Auto-X Carburation/Suspension

To: billla@microsoft.com
Subject: Re: MGB Auto-X Carburation/Suspension
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 10:25:03 -0700
With the siamesed ports on the MGB, one can only run a single sidedraft
Weber or SK.  I suggest the SK, if you want to retain your vacuum advance
for better low throttle driveability.  Going to straight mechanical would
not be too bad, though, I do it with my Spitfires.

If you do swap in a sidedraft, there is a good chance the chokes,  (main
venturis) that come with the kit will be too big.  I think the last MGB
I worked on ended up with 32mm chokes.  It had 36mm in a 45 when I started
with it, got about 15mpg.  Going to the smaller chokes increased the mileage
AND usuable power range significantly.  Actually, I could offer you a kit
to do the conversion, Weber or SK, I'll have to look up the prices.

As for the suspension, you may want to read the SCCA rule book for Street
Prepared preparation allowances, so you don't do something that pits you
against fully prepared racers.  The '94 books should be available in
about a month or so.

There is a considerable amount you can do in SP to the suspension, like
diffeent springs, sway bars front and rear, different bushings.  There might
be some tube shock conversion kits that don't meet the letter of the law for
SCCA Solo.  I'm not an MG expert, perhaps others will elaborate.

Hmm, I may have forgotten to add you to the autocross list, I'll check
on it... okay, you'll get the autocross intro soon.

mjb.