camshaft thrust spacing (?)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: camshaft thrust spacing (?)
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 93 09:52:06 CST
Hi all,

I put the 'new' camshaft in the block last night, after installing the oil pump
and so on. I didn't forget the gasket for the pump or the small star drive
thingy (or to put the lifters in!). I installed the front plate gasket and
tightened down the cam locking plate. Haynes said to check the thrust spacing
(i think thats what it is called) to see if the cam locking plate is
worn. Well I've used a new cam lock plate, everything is tight, and the cam
can move about 2mm forwards and backwards !!! (i.e, towards and away from the
oil pump and front plate). I thought this distance was meant to be in the order
of 0.003in (I seem to remeber from the clearances given in haynes). I'm not sure
if this is correct/right/ok or whatever. I have definately not left a part out
and have followed the instruction to the word.

                  Camshaft (cut for quicker  gasket
                  ascii drawing)             ||     lockplate
                        ||                   \/   /
     --                 \/                   ||x|
    |  |     _                  _            ||x||
    |  |----| |-----.....------| |-----------||x||---
    |  |    | |     .....      | |           ||x||   |
    |  |----|_|-----     ------|_|-----------||x||---
    |  |                                /    ||x||         <---------->
     __                           front      ||x|           the cam can move
                           journal in bearing  /\            2mm back and forth!
    /\                                         ||
    ||                                      front end plate
 oil pump
+gasket, star
drive prop. located
inside...(cam turns the
pump O.K)

The endloat is in spec....i.e. the if you wobble the cam up and down (well,
you can't actaually do that).

Anyway is this normal????

Marcus