Re: MGB Auto-X Carburation/Suspension

To: billla@microsoft.com (Bill Lattimer)
Subject: Re: MGB Auto-X Carburation/Suspension
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 13:32:45 -0600 (CST)
> First message on the Internet - I've been reading reading the digests
> with great interest.

Welcome aboard!  Although there are other Twin Cities autocrossers on the
autox list, you are the only other Twin Cities netter on british-cars.
Unless Jesse Hartley has been listening in.  But I think he stays with the
lotus-cars list.

> This summer I bought a 1970 MGB after looking at 26 cars (lotsa junk!).
>  My main interest was a fun car that I could auto-x.  I've since
> 'caught the bug' after my first event (dead last, but not by much!)

Hmm.  What club was that, COM?   What car?  I have no record of you pre-MGB.

> 1. Using a completely stock engine, other than a header, is it worth
> using sidedraft Webers?

No.  The side-draft SUs are perfectly adequate, and my be better for the
flexibility needed in autocross.  Both Brian Erickson and Mike Fitzpatrick
run SU carbs on their successful DSP MGBs.  Brian says he never seen a
better carb setup on a legal engine.

> 2. I'm really torn about the tube shock conversion, vs some upgraded
> Armstrongs.  I like the Spax idea, and the rear conversion looks fine,
> but the front looks like a total hack - the mounting looks very loose.

Legality for DSP is an issue.  Here is the Met Council rule, stolen from
the Solo II book:
---
On cars with lever-type shock absorbers, a tube-type shock absorber may be
added.  If the lever-type shock absorber serves no other purpose, it must
be removed.  If the lever-type shock absorber serves any other purpose, it
must be retained.
---
This means you have to keep the Armstrong shock and its lever, as it is
used for the upper control arm.

The Werace conversion from J C Whitney is OK in Street Prepared.
The coil-over front end from Moss, with the new control arms, is not legal
Street Prepared.

I can send you info on buying this stuff.  If you like, I can send you the
whole monster list of vendors and comments from netters.  It comes in four
chunks of about 800 lines each, so I don't send it without a request.

> I'm looking at running 15 x 6 Minilite clones.

Stick to 14" is my advice.  6" width is good idea.  Run 185-60-14 tires.
Wider if they fit under the car, but probably not wider than 215mm.  If
you want more tire, you need more wheel, and we will have to start talking
about fender flares.  Erickson is still running 185-60-14 on stock Rostyle
wheels.  Sometimes he can catch Fitzpatrick on the wider wheels.  The two
of them leave the rest of the class for dead.

Tire selection is a subject is a subject more appropriate to
autox@autox.team.net

Swaybars.  You will need them.  The Ron Hopkinson (? correct me, sombody)
kit is well regarded.  Brian runs ADDCO, which you can get cheap from Whitney.
Be careful.  Most vendors, even in England, sell you ADDCO bars at a huge
markup.

I think with the help of folks on this list, the autox list, and your
future competitors Mike and Brian, you should get enough info to make your
decisions.

I'll send you the Met Council rules in a separate Email if you like.