Re: TR3/4 gearbox

To: dec254!reed@uunet.UU.NET, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3/4 gearbox
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 09:56:24 -0800
In message <9312011526.AA23462@relay1.UU.NET> John Reed writes:
> Does anyone know whether a TR3 shift handle can be fitted to a
> TR4 gearbox.  I want the original TR3 look but the first speed
> synchro whould be great.  Also what is the going price for
> TR3/TR4 overdrive units and the shorter output shaft.
>
> Thanks,
> John

John,
I put a TR4 overdrive transmission into my TR3A about a year before I took
everything appart.  The TR3 shift lever fits nicely into the TR4 box with no
problems.  I used the TR3 drive shaft.  The transmission, of course, bolts right
up to the engine.  The holes for the transmission mount need to be elongated a
bit.  But other than that its the same as installing a TR3 box.

I went for a rebuilt TR4 overdrive transmission and used my 3 transmission as a
core.

Now for something a tinsy bit more esotaric...
It seems that racers tend to break transmission housings with all the HP the
trick engines are putting out.  The cure is installing a TR6(!) transmission in
the 3.  It evidently bolts right up, uses the same drive shaft, and allows you
to use your TR3 shift lever.  The transmission mount is a bit farther back,
requiring you to flatten the rear flange on the cross mamber that the mount fits
to.  When its all said & done, it looks stock from the outside.

The TR6 transmission has some stiffiners on the housing where the TR3-4 box
breaks.

This TR racer tip brought to you indirectly from Greg Solo.  I saw a TR3 that he
had just done this too (the tounnel was off). Looked skock unless you knew
exactly what you were looking for.

Good Luck!

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561