Re: spitfire VIN

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Re: spitfire VIN
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 12:01:46 CST
   > From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
   > c) then decided that my the VIN on the car is not the VIN!!!!

Amazingly, she is right...

   > Let me just check with some spit owners...the VIN is uder the hood,
   > near the door/main bulkhead...i.e., on the right hand side
   > of the car as you look at it from the front. Just like the diagram in VB??

This is not the VIN, it is the body number.  The VIN is found on the driver's
side of the windscreen, and again on a plate found just below the door catch
on the driver's side.  These plates are riveted on...

Check to see if you have either of these plates and compare them against
the number on the title.  Incidentally, TRF sells blank reproductions
of the door jamb plate...

As an example of the numbers, my '75 spit has 69755FM on the plate under
the hood and FM30513U on the title, windscreen and door plate.

Good luck,

Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu