Re: TR3/4 gearbox

To: uunet!autox.team.net!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: TR3/4 gearbox
From: dec254!reed@uunet.UU.NET (John Reed)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 17:43:57 -0500
Thanks to both John Lye and TeriAnn for responding to let me know
I can put a TR3 lever on a TR4 gearbox.  I have a TR4 gearbox that
has the input shaft and corresponding counter shaft gear torn up.
I plan to replace these gears and the top cover with parts from a
TR3 gearbox which has badly torn up first speed gears.  I also will
replace the output shaft with one for use with an overdrive.  Anyone
see a problem with this?

I don't think the gears will be a problem since they have the same
part numbers, but I need to locate an output shaft.  Since I don't have
an overdrive gearbox output shaft, how can I verify one is correct for
the TR4?

I also need to buy an overdrive unit, something I have no experience
with.  What should I look out for when shopping for one?  Is there a way
to tell a good one from a bad one before buying? How much should I spend
on one?

Any advise is appreciated

john