Re: British Cars Digest #1015 Wed Dec 1 01:15:01 MST 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1015 Wed Dec 1 01:15:01 MST 1993
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 9:52:42 PST
| From: timd@ptltd.com (Tim Dziechowski)
| Subject: tools (was: the African Queen)
|

| I have the DeWalt model DW290 1/2" reversing impact wrench.  Home Depot
| sells them.
......good stuff about the usefulness and power deleted.....

| ....  An air impact wrench capable of 250 ft/lb
| would need at least a 3-5 HP compressor, and there aren't enough electrons
| in my garage for that.

Actually this isn't strictly true. For many years I used air driven impact
tools with an undersized compressor. The compressor I had was about 1/3 horse
(110 volts too) but would pump the tank up to over 100 lbs. It was fine for
tools like impact wrenched which require bursts of high pressure but not
continual use. It was not good for high volumn continual use tools like
sand blasters and big paint sprayers.

Needless to say I was glad to move on to a big compressor. Though even today
all I take when I'm going to the race track is a large air tank which I fill
before I leave home. With it and a 1/2 inch impact wrench I can just change
4 tires and still have a bit of air left to top up my tire pressure once.

-Dick

| ------------------------------
|
| From: cdenzler@sierra.com (Christian R. Denzler)
| Subject: gt6 diff stuff
|
| A while ago I replaced the diff on my gt6+, and I promised to post the
| story......

| ... Unfortunately, the $275 yard only had the 3.89s, so I spent $350 for the
| 3.27.  (there has been some debate recently on which is the rarer diff, up
| this way it is the 3.27)
|
|                                - Chris

If you look strictly at GT6s the 3.27 ratio is most common because the 3.89
was used mainly in overdrive cars. However most later Spifires used 3.89
which means that they are a more common ratio if you disregard the small
differances in the diff housing. Earliers Spits had smaller flanges and stub
axels, so they don't work in a GT6.

-Dick