Re: Vanity Plates

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vanity Plates
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1993 14:26:55 CDT
Andy West writes:
> Call for Vanity Plates. Anyone care to share their thoughts on personlized
> plates? We were thinking of "ribit" for our 1972 British Racing Green MGB...

What are the parameters? Here in Illinois, for example, you get 7 charac-
ters maximum; must start with a letter and may end with 1 digit or more;
digits, if used, must be trailing only. If you accept a trailing digit
(e.g. VANITY 1) it's way cheaper, something like $11 instead of $75. In
my opinion, if you're going to all the trouble of getting a vanity plate,
(i.e. guessing something humorous that someone else hasn't already got
and which doesn't translate into something naughty in a language that the
Secretary of State is aware of) don't cheap out and accept a trailing digit
unless it fits the scheme. For example, I wanted for a long time to get a
VW Rabbit just so I could have WABBIT 1.  :-)

Give us the rules for your state and I'm sure we can come up with some
good ones for you!

Oh, to answer the followup questions from Illinois readers, the forms are
available at the usual government outlets; you get 3 guesses per form; the
application with requests (for vanity plates in 1st, 2nd and 3rd preference
order) is free; you have to have standard state-issued plates on the vehicle
first. The state will eventually write back to tell you which of your three
requests is available for you, at which point you send in the check if you
want the plate. They reserve your request for 90 days while you decide.

                                        Cheers,
                                                Andy  ("I BYTE")
Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473