water damage / emissions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: water damage / emissions
From: Brian Upper - Invoice <parsytec@ux2.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 16:56:34 -0500
Hello!

I've been lurking for quite sometime, trying to catch up on my SOL reading
(I was several MONTHS behind, and didn't want to miss anyting!)  Now,
however, I have something to post.  ( I still haven't caught up, yet.)

This past weekend, I decided to finally get started on the engine rebuild
I've been putting off since October.  First, I wanted to get the engine
clean of 18 years of road grime (it's a '75 MGB), so I took it to a car
wash which had oil collection facilities, and blasted the whole engine
compartment with high pressure water.  Unfortunately, that's as far as I got
with the engine rebuild.  You see, it was such a gorgeous day, that I
decided it could wait one more week :)

The news had predicted rain during Saturday night, and they were right, so
I put my top up.  However, when I came home on Sunday night around 11:30,
the stars were shining brightly, not a cloud in the sky, and the news had
not mentioned rain.  I woke at 3:00am to the rolling peal of a glorious
Midwestern summer thunderstorm, realizing, that my 'B was quickly becoming
a portable British bathtub.  This morning, all my gauges had a fine mist
in them.  What possible damage can be done?  How best to cure this?

Also, once I do get the engine out, I plan to also replace the exhaust
system.  While looking through the catalogs, I noticed that one of the
stainless steel exhaust sytems claimed that it had the same dimensions and
same back pressure as original equipment, but also carried the warning
that it was illegal in California on pollution controlled cars.  Why
would the material of manufacture cause this?  Or is the law simply against
any modifications away from original?

Thanks for the help.  Maybe I will actually try again this weekend! :)

Brian Upper
parsytec@ux2.cso.uiuc.edu