Re: 1500 Midget COOLING (a must read

To: IEDXW@asuvm.inre.asu.edu
Subject: Re: 1500 Midget COOLING (a must read
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 13:44:48 CDT
Dennis writes:

   > bumper the 1500 engine is not too happy here.  As you know the 1500 is
   > from the Spitfire where the engine bay design and engine are in harmony.
   > However, the 1500 in the midget gets a much reduced air flow past
   > the motor and over the oil sump.  Especially in warmer climates or if you
   > like to rev up the motor an oil cooler is MANDATORY.  These motors are

This is a good tip even for Spitfires.  In the TriumphTune Performance
Manual, they say the FIRST thing you should do to the Spit is add an oil
cooler, even if you aren't planning on any other modifications.
Actually, they say this for the TR3 and TR4 too (didn't read about the
250 or 6 but it probably wouldn't hurt on this engine either).  I did
this on my 1296 motor and my car magically went from running 3/4 to 4/4
up the temp guage to a rock-solid 1/2-way up the temp guage.  I put the
thermostatic adapter plate on that TriumphTune offers and had no trouble
in the winter coming up to operating temperature.  The main benefit from
the cooler is better oil pressure.  My engine now runs at about 75psi
hot (like after > 6hrs at 70mph).

   >     A larger radiator and fan help too (keep the water : antifreeze ratio
   > as low as you can too).

Are you sure it's not the other way?  I thought you were supposed to use as
much water in your mix as possible because it has a greater heat carrying
capacity than ethylene glycol...

Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu