TR7 brake components.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 brake components.
From: gall@gamma.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 13:52:59 MDT
Hi guys!

I am a bit frustrated with the brakes on my '76 TR7 V8 lately. Having
finished all the engine work (ie. puting in the '71 Lesabre engine), I
was keen to take the car for a spin. I glanced into the brake fluid
resevoir and noticed rusty sludge! I have now finished honing the MB
cylinder out but some small pits remain. I am now prepared to reassemble
the car as is to test the system out.

I have a few quick questions I would like to ask you:

Can I use DOT 3 fluid? - the label under my hood says to ONLY use it, but I
recall all the talk about it not being compatible with British rubber
seals.

I heard a strange rumour that Datsun brake components are almost
perfectly compatible with British brakes (ie. Girling & Lockheed), is
this true?

Does anybody know of a common MB cylinder that I could substitute for my
TR7's original one? - I am not sure I trust it with the small pits in
the bore. The biggest problem to finding a replacement wouls seem to be
finding an MBC with a resevoir that tapers down in front (like the original),
allowing it to fit under the raked hood.

NB: This car is so extensively modified that I could car less how
authentic it remains, infact the entire rear end (brakes included) is
out of a Ford. I JUST WANT REAL WORKING BRAKES!

Thanx for all your help/advice!

Greg.
(gall@gamma.uleth.ca)