Re: TR7/8 Turn Signal Cancelling

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR7/8 Turn Signal Cancelling
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 17:24:20 CDT
Joe Gorin (joeg@sr.hp.com) writes:
> In my TR7, the turn signals (direction indicators) due not turn off
> (cancel) unless the turn radius is unusually small--smaller than
> normally seen in even residential driving.

I shall stick my neck out by attempting to apply American car experience
to this one... the self-cancelling mechanism is usually triggered by a
couple of small springs (one for clockwise turns of the steering column,
the other for counter-/anti-clockwise turns). These springs press small
triggers into the path of a cam attached to the steering column in order
to release the switch when the cam, and steering column, begin to "unwind"
after the turn. When the springs break, the triggers are not cocked pro-
perly when you signal a turn, and therefore they won't release the signal
lever afterwards.

The springs are usually rather small (if wire, not plastic) and the broken
pieces can fall anywhere without your noticing. You may have to yank the
steering wheel to get a clear view of the area. Ask any Pontiac owner. :-(

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473