MGBGT saga continues..

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGBGT saga continues..
From: kjlooney@ssdkjl.b17c.ingr.com (KJ Looney)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 16:51:04 CDT
Okay,
So I read all of the posts, felt kindof silly for not checking
the fuel side of my sputtering/backfiring problem and last
night I pulled of the fuel line and watched my fuel pump fill
an 8oz coke bottle in about 10 sec.  Since my old clymer's
manual did not give a rate, I guessed that that was okay.
I realize there was no pressure but I could not figure out
a way to test under pressure without some fancy bmc shop
tester.  So then I pushed the carburator cylinders up into
the dashpots to see how the damping was working. All seemed
okay except the left side stuck at the top.  Not a friction
stick, a vacuum stick.  If I unscrewed the plunger from the
dashpot just a touch, it would fall happy as a lark, I also
noticed this side was easier to push up than the right.
Added a dab of oil, presto. Then I watched them as I revved,
looked synced to me.  Then I pulled the cap off of the float
bowl and saw some pretty grundgy stuff in the bottom, but the
float and grosse looked okay. Then I took the air cleaners
off and went for a drive...oh well, same thing, then it seem
to heal itself. I went for 8 or 9 blocks wide open, felt
great, decided the god's had smiled and all was well...turned
onto my street, back to normal.  I'm buffaloed.  I'm about
to take off and rebuild some of the best idling carbs
I've ever seen, because I can't make this thing run!

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

ken (this stuff just ain't that tough) looney
Ken Looney              kjlooney@ssdkjl.b17c.ingr.com
Systems Engineer        205-730-7702  Ext