Re: Salutations, '69 sprite smog woes, Honda 600

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Salutations, '69 sprite smog woes, Honda 600
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 16:47:34 CDT
Hans Huber writes >

>Greetings all, another SOL lurker comes to play!  i'm in the SF bay area
>(sili vally, more specifically), and am a consumate spridget freak.

The only thing that could pry my hands off my Spridget was a Lotus.  I'm still
suffering withdrawal symptoms.

>my problem (this week) is getting the beater, my '69 sprite, smogged

Move to Minnesota where you don't have to smog a '69 car.
Oops.  Sorry.  Cheap shot.

>albatross ('58 bugeye, 1275, datsun 5 speed, new *everything*) will be
>finished RealSoonNow (i've only been saying that for ~2 years),

Same with my Europa.  That is why I have the withdrawal symptoms.

>also, we put a gallon of denatured alcohol in
>it (against my better judgement) to try to bring the emissions down.  anybody
>tried this, and is it likely to cause problems?

Isopropanol is probably better.

>i just ran across a Honda S-600 roadster in an apartment
>it's a fair bit smaller than a spridget, quite lovely

Yup, if you like Spridgets, and I do.  Almost bought one about 25 years ago.

>Honda using a 2-piece roller bearing crank in the 60's.

I asked the seller why there was no oil-pressure gauge.  He said, "Because
there is no oil pressure".  Everything was roller bearings.  Redline was
10,000 RPM.

BMC was scared of the Honda taking over for the Spridget because it screamed up
the straight.  But it did not handle as well.

One interesting detail.  The rear diff was mounted solid to the chassis,
feeding stub axles.  Each rear wheel was on a hub on the end of a trailing arm.

Each trailing arm was surrounded by (you guessed it) a chain to drive the
wheel.  Made a lot of noise.  The seller told me you just keep your jacket on
the rear shelf to muffle the noise.

>does anybody have any idea what it would be worth?

No.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN    55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324    phile@stpaul.gov               USA
There is nothing like a complete money-is-no-object restoration.
And this is going to be nothing like one.  - Phil Ethier