RE: So here's my plan

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: RE: So here's my plan
From: "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6612" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 93 13:16:39 PDT
                                                          Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com
CSX2282

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com
CSX2282

>I've never tried to solder stainless before so I don't know how easy it
>is to do or if special solder is required.  It would be nice to braze
>them together but I don't think the nylon could take the heat.  The
>other question is how well will the epoxy hold since it will be
>subjected to road vibrations and some stress.  How well will it
>withstand the torque of screwing studs in and out of the nylocks nuts.
>Even if the new studs remain new looking, I'll want to be able to remove
>them without pulling the gas tank when I get around to painting the car.

Stainless steel can't be soldered, welded only.  You have a couple of options.
You could use brass parts instead, which can be soldered.  You can try using
Flexlock SS locknuts which are all metal and can be MIG welded.  What about
using Nutserts or Permnuts which are pressed into the metal for blind screw
insertions like yours.  They come in aluminum or stainless, I beleive, but
there's a special hand tool to install them.  Olander or other industrial
fastener places carry stuff like that.

Mike G.