Re: Just suppose for a minute...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, rlindsay@amoco.com
Subject: Re: Just suppose for a minute...
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 15:18:23 PDT
and I reply to what Richard writes...

> I write about what Garry writes about what Scott writes:
>
> >> ...that I went mad and decided to shop for an XJ-S.
>
> >Oh-oh, I think Scott has got a lust on.   I'd swear he's
> >mentioned this before :-)

Been thinking about it for a while, I must admit.  Connolly
hides... twelve pulsing pistons thrusting the car forward with
the urge of a half-dozen Le Mans victories...  the scent of
hot Castrol sizzling off aluminum, laced with just a hint of
the salty, stinging aroma of pure undiluted terror.  Plus I could
finally buy The Cat.  The Jaguar sculpture has always been the image
for me of what sports cars are all about: power, ferocity, danger,
stealth, metal, and sex.

And of course, it was a Jaguar that made me this way, a white
XK-120 so many years ago; it's about time for me to close the
loop, get one of my own.  I suppose I'll have to start calling
them JAG-you-weres instead of JAG-wahrs, or given that this
is California, maybe ha-WAR is more appropriate.  (Of course, the
real trick would be to get a personalized plate that reads ONCA.)

> I got a monster lust-on about a year ago for an XJ-S.
> I also found the cure.  I bought one!

I was afraid that was the cure (but not half so afraid as Kim is! :-)

> >> --Scott "Rather have an Aston, but an XJ-S just might
> >>do" Fisher
>
> >Go for the Aston, GO FOR THE ASTON!!!!
>
> The Aston is probably good (see note 1).  However, the Aston,
> to my eye, is not in the (visual) class with the XJ-S.

Weeeeeelll... Gotta say that I really like the looks of the DB4,
which is in some ways the spiritual predecessor of the XJ-S as a
big, powerful British car with an unimpeachable racing heritage.
They even look alike, in some ways, like the way the headlights
frame the aggressive grille opening.  The XJ-S is more stylized,
less simply elegant (what with those flying buttresses anent
the backlight and the staggered quad headlights), and I have to
say that in my own not so bloody humble opinion, the simplicity
of the DB Astons is just about perfect.

The DB5 I like a lot too, with those snarky glassed-in E-Type-like
headlamps.  And I wouldn't turn down a DB6, even with the little
spoiler in place of the nifty fin tail-lamps (remember, this is
someone who has a Volvo 122S and an MGB; I guess I have a thing
for vertical tailfin lamps.)

The Vantage loses some of the classic lines of the early DB series,
but not much.  I'd still just love to have one, but I don't think
the credit union is going to agree with me there.  (I could be
wrong; if there's *any* Aston-Martin that can be had for less than
the price of a 4-bedroom ranch house, or a 1-bedroom condo in the
Bay Area, let me know.)

None of these cars, of course, looks as good as an early E Type,
but then neither does anything else, with the possible exception
of a '63 Lusso.  (Or a Sprint Speciale, as long as we've introduced
non-British vehicles...)

> When all else fails remember.  You can usually buy a quality
> used Jaguar cheaper than you can buy a new car of about any
> make.  Including the Japanese econoboxes!  My '84 XJ-S, in
> catagory ~1.8 condition, cost less then 13,000 US dollars!

BINGO.  That's just what makes them so much worth considering.
Still more cash than I've got lying around the house, but as I
say, the AEACU will finance the difference at interest rates
that make it very reasonable, on an '83 or newer (that ten-year
rule; too bad, I saw a '69 E Type coupe for $9500 not long ago).
And if it came to a choice between a Nissan Altima and an XJ-S...

So Richard, care to enlighten me as to the details of your
search?  What are the scary things, what makes one turn down a
car, what should I be looking for in an XJ-S?  Or should I just
throw caution to the winds and sign on for one at my earliest
opportunity?  (And which years *did* Jag win the Vingt-Quatre
Heures du Mans, anyway?)

Maybe most telling: What would you do differently if you were
shopping for one today?

--Scott "Power, ferocity, danger, stealth, metal, and sex" Fisher