RE: Moss Motors & clunks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, 71664.320@CompuServe.COM
Subject: RE: Moss Motors & clunks
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 13:01:09 PDT
     I would be so concerned w/2-3" of driveshaft freeplay
     plus a "clunk" that I would not *even* attempt to drive
     the car until I fixed it.
          To determine what is at fault, disconnect the
     driveshaft from the diff. flange and then rotate each
     independently to attempt to cause the clunk. At the
     diff, look for a loose flange nut, on the driveshaft
     look for the worst u-joint in history. My bet is you'll
     find a loose flange nut on the diff, which is
     repairable with the diff in the car, but you'll
     eventually want to pull it & correctly adj. the
     preload.
          And while I've got you all here, is anyone
     planning on going to the Plymouth All-british meet this
     weekend ? If so, please e-mail me and we can possibly
     hook up. I'll be piloting Redcar up on Saturday am.

          cheers-
                 stone