Bob's trip & Car show

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Bob's trip & Car show
From: Joe Flake <jflake@hpfcse.fc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 14:39:09 MDT
Bob Jones and I have exchanged some offline mail about his Ohio to
SC trip in the MG.  I shared some SC hints from the years I lived
there but the interesting coincidence is that my family will also
be heading to Myrtle beach the same week.  We're gonna try to hook
up and trade stories.

Depending on how family issues resolve (wife wants to stay longer with
her mom) I may take the TR-6 for the ride.  Not quite as long as
Bob's but an adventure just the same.  (Also BORING since the basic
path from here (Atlanta) to there is about 5 hours of I20)  Anyway,
anyone else care to join us?

I must share a secret Bob revealed in his mail though.  We've all been
concerned about how he's to pack all the LBC pieces and still have
room for more than shorts and a tee shirt.  Well here's "the
rest of the story":
> Luckily, my parents are going to be in town the week before we go
> and I'm going to send my golf clubs & other big stuff down with them.
Gee Bob, maybe you CAN take the spare differential somebody suggested!
(Just kidding, I know the vehicles are going separate routes.  And
as I told Bob, I'll be doing the same trick with the family MiniVan!)

On another note, my TR-6 is now an "Official Show Car"!  I took it
to the British Car Show at Chateau Elon (sp?) here north of Atlanta
a few weeks ago.  Paid my $25 (ouch, but the check went to charity
so it won't hurt as bad next April 15) and parked in with the fancy
cars.  I was a bit out of place, but my car looked better than at
least one or two others in the group!  I looked for Don and George
there but hadn't made any previous arrangements and didn't see them.
Our adventure came on departure.  As we arrived, we told the parking
jockey "We'll have to leave early, put us where we can get out".  He
said OK, ... but LIED!  Come departure time, aisles were full of
people with picnic regailia, and end paths were filled with late
arrivals.  Hmmm.  We're on the back row.  Wonder if we can make it
down this grassy hill behind us.  Looks ok.  Go for it!  I know we
had lots of people watching, but it worked out with no problems!

Surprising to me was that my wife agreed to go, although the prospect
of a winery tour helped.  Even more surprising was that she really
enjoyed it -- even wandering through rows and rows of rather similar
cars.  (For you hams on the list, she commented that she liked the
car show better than any hamfest I'd ever taken her to.  Reason:  at
least she knew that the cars were cars -- at hamfests she doesn't
know what the flea market junk is!)

The added part I would have enjoyed was the "$10 gets you 5 laps at
Road Atlanta" deal.  Road Atlanta is just down the road from the show.
Now that would have been fun!  Unfortunately time didn't allow.

Joe Flake
jflake@hpfcse.hp.com