Sea Crossing (was long trips)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Sea Crossing (was long trips)
From: tim.lamb@ml.csiro.au (Tim Lamb)
Date: Wed, 26 May 1993 13:47:56 -0500

Then Gavin said:
>What, you're not going to try and do one better than the VW.  For overseas
>people, some guy tried a couple of times to drive his VW Beetle from Melbourne
>to Tasmania (across the Bass Strait).  He never did make it but it was funny to
>watch.

The VW guy was trying to go one better than famous (in the seventies)
adventurer Hans Tholstrup. Hans took the wheels off his car and turned it
backwards, placed it on a huge zodiac (inflatable boat), hooked up the cars
fuel and battery to an outboard and zoomed across the Strait. This was part
of his epic trip from Southport (Bottom of Tasmania) to Cape York (Top of
Mainland Australia). He succeeded. The car? A Moke of course.

       ___ Cape York Peninsula
  _--_|\
 /      \
 \_.--._/