starter

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: starter
From: T Cox <tcox@dom1.nuwes.sea06.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 26 May 93 11:05:39 PDT
Now that the weather is getting nice in the Seattle area and the continuous
deluge of precipitation has subsided, I find that my starter is taking a
vacation on me.

I still have my original starter on my '79 MGB which has 115k miles on it.  I
am amazed that the starter has lasted this long.  The problem is that sometime
swhen I turn the Key, The starter will not engage.  What I assume is happening
is that the solenoid is not engaing the gear to the flywhell to crank the
engine.  I was so bold as to turn the key with the car still in gear and
nothing happened.  I can hear the starter turning but the engine doesn't crank.
 Has anyone else had this problem?
Would I be better off just replacing the whole starter?  Who has the cheapest
starter and how do I get in touch with them?

Thanks

Terry Cox