Re: MGB:Anti-sway bar,trip, and bolt circles

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB:Anti-sway bar,trip, and bolt circles
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 13:36:22 CDT
Robert Jones writes>

>Now that JC Whitless has taken two months to tell me that they don't
>have the front anti-sway bar I ordered in stock and won't be getting
>it any time soon, I need to find someplace reasonably cheap that does
>have them in stock.  JCW did manage to send me the rear bar which I
>ordered, but I can't really put it on until I get a thicker front bar.
>The rear bar seems really big, like about 3/4" to 1".  What size front
>bar do I need to get to match up with this?  Any recommendations for
>inexpensive sources?  This is for a '74 MGB Roadster.  Thanks.

Call ADDCO direct.  800-338-7015

>How am I going to get two people, two people's stuff for a
>week at the beach (Alison didn't buy it when I suggested that she
>only bring a bathing suit and a towel :-) and enough spare parts to
>ensure a complete voyage?  (I do have a luggage rack now.)

The most fuel-efficient and convenient method is to take a very small covered
trailer.  A little plastic clamshell type add virtually no wind resistance,
does not screw up your visibility, and makes all your stuff easy to get to.  If
you go out for a day trip, you can chain it to something in the hotel car park
and leave it there.

> A while ago someone (I believe it was Phil Ethier) posted that the bolt
> pattern was the same for MGB's as for several Nissan/Datsun products.

The 240Z and like Nissan/Datsun cars had 4.5" bolt circles, same as TR-2
through TR-6.  I do not know if this is the same as MGB.

Andrew C. Green added +

+Wasn't the Chevy Vega also mentioned?

The Vega/Sunbird/Monza clan had 4" bolt circle, and some of the wheels were
6" wide.  This is the same as a Midget, not a B.

+If so, the Chevette may also qualify.

Nope, the Chevette is an Opel Kadette, and has 100mm bolt circle.

I don't know about the ORIGINAL Chevette, but since that had a mid-mounted V-8,
I guess it doesn't count :-)

>I was thinking about getting a Nissan donut spare to take in place of
>my full sized MG wheel.

Or you can just put a toy spare on an MGB wheel.  I think the earlier wheels
were narrower, too, but I am on shaky ground as a B expert.  Space-saver spares
are a drug on the market.  Many folks have them taken off and replaced with one
of their old tires when buying a new set.  Thus, tire joints have some lying
about.  Call around town.  They will probably GIVE you one, but they will
charge you to mount it.  They are difficult to mount.  You won't need
balancing.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"Let me know if this gets too organized."  Steve Goodman