Re: RE: Big Healeys Featured in Aug CAR

To: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU
Subject: Re: RE: Big Healeys Featured in Aug CAR
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 93 10:53:35 pdt
> Subject: RE: Big Healeys Featured in Aug CAR
> To: cobra@snakebyte.cdc.hp.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
>

> On another subject recently debated here, this issue also has a short
> article on the merits of Novus Plastic Polish for convertible rear
> windows.  The author liked it, and although he spent two hours getting his
> window just right, "the results were definitely worth the effort".

The article mentioned that Novus is available from J.C. Whitney though
I couldn't find it in my catalog.

> Restorer, Roland.  I took advantage of their "two years for the price of
> one" special several months ago and have enjoyed it ever since.  A recent
> series on engine rebuilds was excellent; there's always plenty of features
> and a gaggle of how-to articles.

I first subscribed to CAR 2 or 3 years ago when my daughter was involved
in a magazine drive.  Like yourself, I was very pleased with the first
few issues; lots of how-to articles and worthwhile hints.  However,
about a year ago the magazine had pretty much degenerated into
cars-of-the month feature/photo fluff and I seriously considered letting
my subscription laps.  Apparently I wasn't alone because several readers
sent letters to the editor with the same complaint.  What really
irritated me was the editor's response to these letters implying that it
was the fault of the readers for not submitting enough articles.  My
feeling was that it was the editor's responsibility to live up to the
magazines name, not the readers.  Lately I've noticed that the mix has
improved considerably so I suspect I wasn't alone in this opinion
either.  For the time being, I've decided to continue my subscription,
but on a year-to-year basis.

I do have other minor complaints like the page numbers in the table of
contents not always matching the pages articles appear on and stuff just
not being included in the table at all.  This nearly drove me nuts a
while back when I tried to look up an article I knew I had read in a
recent issue.  I finally just had to page through each issue until I
found it.

Roland