Re: TR6 distributers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 distributers
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.LOCAL.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Wed, 19 May 93 14:04:35 EDT
>>I Have a 71 TR6 w/ od. When I went for California vehicle inspection for
>>smog check I was told by the state of California this car came stock with a
>>timing vacuum retard, which mine didn't have on it so I was required to
>>aquire and install the module.
>
>>From what I can gather from TRF's TR6 catalog, most of the 1971 6's should
>have both the vacuum retard and vacuum advance units on the distributor,
>but POSSIBLY NOT ALL OF THEM.  The retard/advance systems were apparently
>fitted from engine numbers CC50000 to "approx." CC58298.   But notice that
>the 1971 numbers evidently went beyond CC58298.  The 1972 numbers started
>with CC75001, so if your number is between these two, it might have the
>1972 vacuum setup.

        Thus, check your engine number.  Also, you didn't say what your
TR6 _did_ have!  My '70 has both vacuum advance _and_ vacuum retard.  It's a
real pain, since that means it doesn't have the timing adjuster, so all
adjustments must be done by moving the distributer.  If your engine number
indicates a bastard configuration, with the book you might be able to persuade
them it's correct.

        It's also quite possible someone replaced the distributer with one
from a parts car at some point.

[someone else writes...]
>Is it possible the TR6 came with one of two different distributors?  My GT6
>has the Delco distributor which only has a vacuum advance, but I think it also
>came with the Lucas dist. which had vacuum advance and retard.  If I remember
>right, the manual only showed the Lucas distributor.

        To the best of my knowledge, no TR6 ever came with a Delco distributer.
Perhaps a GT6 did, though that would certainly be unusual.  Sounds like someone
did a transplant.

        Randell Jesup